When cleaning up after dinner you might scrape some leftover food off of plates and into the garbage disposal. But, what happens if the garbage disposal doesn’t turn on when you flip the switch? You need to have your unit repaired before the food starts to rot and leaves odors in your kitchen. For kitchen plumbing services in Paramount, CA, call Paramount Plumbing, Heating & Air. We provide same-day services!
Is your kitchen sink clogged? Call us for drain cleaning services in Paramount.
Common Garbage Disposal Problems
While you might rely on your garbage disposal to get rid of excess food, it can encounter problems from time to time. Some common issues can include:
- Jams: This can occur when inappropriate items — like high-fiber vegetables such as corn husks and carrots — are placed in the disposal.
- Clogs: When clogs occur, professionals may need to take apart the disposal to remove the blockage.
- Loss of power: If you flip the switch and your unit doesn’t start, it can be due to a disrupted or faulty connection. A professional can inspect the unit and make any necessary repairs.
- Noise: Loud or unusual noises can indicate there are metal or hard plastic objects in the appliance.
- Leaking disposal: Leaks can be repaired by a plumber to get the unit back to working correctly.
When To Replace Your Faucet
How old is your kitchen faucet? If you’re not sure, or if you’re experiencing the following problems with it, it can be time to replace the faucet:
- Leaks: If your faucet is leaking, have a plumber inspect it to determine if it can be repaired or if the unit needs to be replaced.
- Severe limescale buildup: If you have buildup on your unit it can decrease your water pressure and cause other parts of your system to rust.
- Expensive parts: If you need to replace various parts on your unit, it can be more cost-effective to install a new faucet rather than make the repairs.
How clean is the water coming out of your faucet? Learn about the water filtration systems we offer to Los Angeles County.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips
You should perform regular maintenance on your garbage disposal to ensure it works properly. Some tasks you should complete include:
- Avoid putting hard food items like corn husks and chicken bones down the disposal.
- Don’t put starchy foods, like potatoes, in the disposal.
- When using the system, run water into the disposal and keep it running for a few seconds after the disposal has been turned off.
- To keep the blades sharp, grind ice in the disposal once a week.
- Clean your disposal with baking soda, vinegar, and water.
- Freshen your disposal with lemons.