You want to make sure your furnace is working correctly all winter to keep your house comfortable. Our licensed technicians recommend scheduling an annual tune-up to ensure your system is working properly, and booking repairs as soon as you notice issues with your unit. Call Paramount Plumbing, Heating & Air for appointments in Paramount, CA. We offer emergency services to restore comfort to your house as soon as possible.
Is it time to replace your aging, malfunctioning furnace? Call us to learn about furnace service in Paramount.
How to Properly Maintain Your Furnace
One of the best ways to keep your furnace working correctly all winter is to perform regular maintenance tasks. These can include:
- Schedule a yearly inspection with a professional in the late spring or early fall.
- Change the filter at least every three months.
- Install a carbon monoxide monitor. This should be inspected by a professional during your annual tune-up.
- Have a heating contractor inspect your furnace ducts to ensure they are sealed properly.
- Check the blower for any obstructions. If needed, apply lubrication.
- Inspect the inside of the furnace chamber for defects that could include rust, holes, and separated seams.
- Clean the burners with fresh water to remove dust and dirt.
- Clean the sensor and pilot with a wire brush and emery cloth.
- Check the “high limit” to prevent overheating.
- Check the gas meter to monitor the rate of fuel usage.
- Clean the area around the furnace to keep it free from debris.
Signs You Need Furnace Repair
To avoid being left in a cold house this winter when your unit malfunctions, it’s important to schedule repairs on your unit at the first signs of a problem. If you notice the following issues you should schedule an appointment with the pros:
- Short cycling: If your system runs for less than three minutes before turning off, it can indicate a malfunctioning heat exchanger or a broken thermostat.
- Irregular flames: If the flames are uneven or lean toward the back of the furnace it can indicate a cracked heat exchanger, which can lead to serious problems. If you notice this, you should call a professional immediately.
- Unusual sounds: If you hear rumbling, popping, or whistling coming from the unit it can indicate a number of issues that should be inspected by a professional.
- Cracked heat exchanger: This can lead to a serious issue like a carbon monoxide leak. This should be inspected by a professional as soon as possible as it can cause serious health issues for your household. If you suspect you have a leak you should evacuate your property and then seek professional help.
At Paramount Plumbing, Heating & Air, we work with American Standard HVAC, Bradford White, Navien, Kohler, Moen, and Delta systems.
Does your aging furnace need to be replaced with a new, more energy-efficient model? Call us for furnace installations in Los Angeles County.
What To Do While Waiting for an Emergency Technician To Arrive
If your furnace breaks down in the middle of winter, it can signal you need emergency repairs. While waiting for an expert to arrive at your home to repair your unit, there are several tasks you can perform:
- Clear a path to your system so the technician can access it.
- If it is extremely cold, have your family wait for the expert at a safe, warm location.
- Be prepared to give the technician a full description of the problem.