Do you see moisture coming from your air conditioner? It could signal a dangerous substance, like refrigerant. Any leaks should be inspected and repaired by a professional. Call Paramount Plumbing, Heating & Air for appointments in Paramount, CA. Our technicians are licensed and insured, allowing them to safely and accurately diagnose the problem and get your system up and running again.
When your AC system malfunctions, get it repaired quickly. Learn about our air conditioning repair services in Paramount.
Signs You Have a Refrigerant Leak
When your air conditioner leaks refrigerant, it can impact its ability to properly cool your house. It’s important to fix the issue before it affects your comfort level. It’s essential to hire a technician immediately. Some signs to watch for that can indicate you have a leak include:
- Loss of cooling power: Your system must work harder to cool your property as the refrigerant levels drop. If you notice a gradual change in the temperature in your home, it can signal a leak.
- Formation of ice or frost: If you notice ice or frost around the evaporator coil it can be a symptom of a leak. As refrigerant leaks out of your system and the charge drops too low, it can prevent the evaporator coil from absorbing heat to warm the cold refrigerant, leading to frost and ice.
- Hissing sounds: If you hear a hissing sound coming from your unit, it can signal a leak. Even a small, pin-needle-sized leak can cause a hissing sound.
Why Professionals Need To Handle Refrigerant Leaks
Refrigerant is a dangerous substance and should only be handled by professionals. In addition to posing threats to your health, other reasons to have experts inspect the leak include:
- To determine where the leak is located and seal it.
- Make sure the substance is handled safely, as it can be dangerous to those who come into contact with it.
- Ensure the correct type of refrigerant is used to recharge your AC unit.
- Make sure the lines are filled with the correct amount.
Is it time to replace your aging cooling system? Call us for air conditioning installation services in Paramount.
Common Causes of Refrigerant Leaks
Refrigerant leaks can be caused by many different reasons. Some common reasons can include:
- The formation of formic acid. This can come from the copper lines used to protect the lines.
- Vibrations in the air conditioning system.
- Weakening joints or connections.
If you suspect you have a leak, call our technicians at Paramount Plumbing, Heating & Air.